Youth living in low-income housing may face daily challenges that hinder educational growth and development. Some common challenges are:
- Parents with substance abuse issues
- Incarcerated family members
- Criminal activity in their neighborhoods
- Low high school graduation rates among family members
- Household income limits well below the national poverty limit
According to the Cameron Foundation’s 2019 Service Area Report Card, only 26% of Kindergarten students are at grade level on PALS assessments and 61% of third grade students are at grade level for reading proficiency.
Our program incorporates homework assistance, tutoring and online educational programs to increase math and literacy skill proficiency. Supportive and caring relationships with adults through mentoring also increases participant’s leadership abilities and self-esteem.